Sunday, October 23, 2005

Dish Networks Offering Free DVR upgrade

I may be severely behind the times, but I just noticed that Dish Networks is giving away a bunch of equipment. If you sign up with them now, you get a free Dish, free installation, and you get free DVR upgrades. Now that's cool. In case you're new to this stuff, a DVR is a digital video recorder. A DVR does basically what TiVo does. You record your shows and movies digitally, and can play them back whenever you like. You can also pause live TV, rewind, and all that good stuff.

The service, including DVR service, costs less than I currently pay Comcast just for cable. I'm beginning to get interested. I currently shell out over $50 per month to Comcast for basic service, plus $20 per month for my two TiVo boxes. So total, figure over $70 a month for cable + TiVo. The same service from Dish, including service for 2 DVR boxes, comes up at $36.97. Check out the link at the bottom of this post for more details.

One hesitation I have is my Humax TiVo DVD recorder. This thing will take video recorded on your TiVo and record it directly to DVD. The interface is TiVo simple. You don't have to call in your geeky nephew to get your show on DVD. But I digress. Back to the Dish DVR thing.

Another advantage of the Dish DVR, compared to TiVo, is the quality. As with the DirecTV DVR, the satellite video data is recorded directly onto your DVR without the need for re-encoding. When you record to TiVo, even if you use digital cable, as I do, there's a significant loss in quality. Here's what happens:

  • Digital signal is decoded by cable box.
  • Analog signal is sent to TiVo box, usually via low quality composite video cable.
  • TiVo encodes video back to MPEG-2 format.

All this results in quite a loss in quality. Since the Satellite DVR's are all integrated into a single, smarter box, they can just write the digital video directly to the hard drive without any loss in quality. Thus when you replay the video, the quality is just as good as if you'd been watching live.

But what really interests me is the new Pocket Dish portable video player that I talked about before. I can just hook this little beast up to the Dish DVR, and transfer all my programs over to watch on the go. Not that I really ever go anywhere, but it that the point?

I've always been a cable subscriber, mostly because I'm too lazy to change. Satellite has been gaining steadily on cable for the past several years, largely due to the fact that satellite service costs less these days than cable.

I've also been a loyal TiVo fan for the last 5 years, but I'm actually seriously considering switching to Dish Network DVR for all these goodies. I may consider switching back if TiVo and Comcast ever come out with any interesting news on the deal they signed back in March.

Let me know what you think I should do. Post a comment for me.

Here's the link I found: www.buymydish.com

Technorati Tags: , , , ,



5 Comments:

  • this has been there promo for quite some time, after hurricane charley in august of 2005 i signed up for dish (NO CONTRACT) and a two room dvr for FREE. Very happy with the DVR and service in florida.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:10 PM  

  • A great promo for all DVR owners. This kind of offering is rare considering that most companies would opt to provide freebies as incentives. This is a good sign as other companies might innovate their own way of providing top notch customer service.

    By Anonymous Wong Online PoK√©r Hu, at 5:14 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Avcap DVR, at 3:15 AM  

  • Hello,
    That's really a great and best offer.The picture and the sound quality is so good,dish network's great service starts out with the high quality that only satellite technology can provide.

    By Anonymous Digital Video Recorders, at 1:28 AM  

  • thanks for this information i also finding this information and u give me so thanks and i also find information about Security System.

    By Blogger Adam Scott, at 6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home